For Registered BOS Artists:
SAVE THE DATES:
All BOS participating artists are invited to the following. Feel free to bring food/drink if you like. Please RSVP only if you plan to attend by emailing email@example.com
April 7: Artist Meet-Up to paint BOS signs.
756 Wolcott Avenue, 11am-2pm.
April 21: Artist Meet-Up to create original mylar balloons that will hang at each studio location this year. 756 Wolcott Avenue, 11am-2pm.
Artist Tips for Success
How to Prepare for BOS
Make sure the information on your artist page is correct and that only the highest quality images have been selected. We try to promote our BOS artists every chance we get, so make sure your images are cropped properly and Never send out blurry photos!
Establishing an online presence is so important. We cannot promote you on social media if you're not already on social media. If you do not have a personal website for your artwork, now is a good time to get one.
Set your intentions. Many BOS artists make substantial sales during the weekend. If this is your goal make sure you have a price list available. Business cards and guest books are also a good idea.
Make sure there is ample signage to your studio. Make it easy for visitors to find you esp. if you're in a building with other artists.
Get the word out. Publicize BOS on all your social media and be sure to hashtag #Beaconarts and #beaconopenstudios every time! Send notifications to your email lists, and share our Facebook page events!
Artist Info. for Kickoff Party & Exhibition
Location: Oak Vino Wine Bar, 389 Main Street, Beacon, NY
Friday, April 27th, 6-9pm. The exhibit will be up for one month.
There will be one free drink ticket available for all participating artists as well as finger food at the bar. Please be sure to invite guests to view the exhibit and enjoy the party.
Each registered artist may submit one artwork for the Kickoff exhibition. Artwork must be delivered to Oak Vino Wednesday, April 25 between 12:00 & 3:00pm. The show is being installed on this day and work will not be accepted anytime after. If you cannot make the drop off times please email firstname.lastname@example.org to make other arrangements.
Your artwork must accompany the Artist Agreement. Please let us know ASAP if you will not be participating in the Kickoff exhibit so we can plan the space accordingly. (At this time there is no size limitation. The exhibit will be hung salon style. We only ask that you choose smaller scale artwork out of consideration for all 64 artists.)
As always, BOS relies on volunteers to help put this event together. We can always use more volunteers!
Download and Print the BOS logo
What to Expect at BOS
BOS is a weekend long event that starts with the Kickoff celebration Friday evening. Saturday and Sunday studios are open to the public 12-6pm. Depending on the weather and the location of each studio, artists can expect to see between 40-60 visitors each day. Someone is expected to be at your studio space at all times, so if you plan to run out for food or to look at other artwork, please make sure someone is there to greet visitors.
Visitors expect to have a unique experience at each different studio location. It is entirely up to each artist to set the tone. Feel free to set up your space the way you want your visitors to experience it! Remember that this is an Open Studio event. Visitors want to see how and where things are made, and are just as interested in the space you work in as in the artwork itself.
Reasons to participate in
Beacon Open Studios
- Exposure - 2018 marks the 10th Anniversary of BOS! It is now one of the largest events of its kind in the Hudson Valley, anticipated by artists and visitors alike. Each year the thousands of visitors who come to BOS confirm Beacon as the cultural destination it has become. For working artists this is a unique opportunity to show the public what you've been working on, get feedback, network with other artists, collectors, curators and gallerists.
- Artists are featured on our website, social media, and the color catalog printed each year. We regularly post artist's images and website links.
- Sales - BOS is an opportunity to sell your artwork without paying a commission fee. You choose the sale price and personally connect with the people interested in your work. It's a chance to form lasting relationships with collectors and future collectors of your work. Many participating artists make substantial sales during BOS weekend.
- BOS is offered by Beacon Arts, a 501 (c)(3) organization which relies mostly on donations, and is entirely run by volunteers. When you participate in BOS you're investing in it's future and future events like it. The more successful BOS is, the more opportunity for future funding for the arts in Beacon. Let's keep it thriving!
New for 2018
- Registration costs were lowered this year
- Categories for Artist Mediums were expanded to include: Drawing . Painting . Sculpture . Photography . Mixed Media . Printmaking . Ceramics/Pottery . Bookmaking . Glass Art . Video/Film . Jewelry . Illustration . Textile Art . Furniture Making . Digital Art . Performance/Dance/Theater . Writing
- Special Events and Artist Demonstrations were added to the weekend roster. For a full list of events click HERE.
- and the BOS Catalogs/Maps got a much needed facelift!